Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I was gone but now I'm back

I wasn't really gone, I was just busy. I don't know how many people actually read this blog, and to be honest, I don't really care, because this blog's only function is to give me somewhere to brag about how awesome I am. Still, it HAS been a while, so I feel that I should tell you why. Have you ever sat down and considered what happens when someone really lazy has WAY too many things to do, and not enough time? What happens is, he doesn't blog for a while.

I helped open a bar. That's a lot of goddamn work. Those of you who know me well, know that I'll always work as hard as I have to, but no more. That's awesome most of the time, but right now it sucks.

So. In 4 days, 5 dudes opened a bar, basically from scratch. The dudes are Brett and Joe (the owners), Bobby (the bar manager), Morgan (who is technically not a dude, since she is a chick), and Me (awesome). And somehow, we slapped this ridiculous venture together, and Brett and Joe have a lot on the line financially, and the whole fucking thing is being held together with duct tape, hope, Brett's force of will, Bobby and Morgan's hard work, Joe's phenomenal ability to worry, and my total mega-awesomeness.

Brett is a Cop. Joe is a Fireman. (If Bobby came to work in a headdress, we'd have a Village People cover band.) I'm not entirely sure what Morgan does, Bobby is working on a Master's degree in education. My deal is that I don't think too much of my chances for getting into Journalism at the U of R. I'm on the "wait" list, the name of which really bugs me, since I'm really impatient.

We hired some people, and I say "we" even though I didn't actually hire anybody yet. I do have some help in the kitchen, since Brett's cousin Terry, who's a good guy, wanted to work in a kitchen and has experience. (I got an application from a guy who is just finishing up a cooking course at SIAST, but has never worked in a kitchen. I don't want to hire someone with no experience. But I don't care whether or not they've got any formal training. Probably because I never had any.) We decided that the best training is on-the-job training, and some of our waitresses had never waitressed before, which was an adventure. And somehow, the whole shit-show went off without a hitch, and we had a great weekend, and we give every impression that we'll be a success. But there's still a lot we don't know. And we havn't even broken our kitchen in, since very few people know that we've made an attempt at running a restaurant that kids aren't allowed into. We havn't had to deal with moving large amounts of food out of a not-at-all organized kitchen, which will be a problem later, but not later enough.

The girls that we hired are pretty hot, and because of the extremely faint possibility that one of them will read this, I'm not going to say anything bad about any of them, unless they turn out to be bitches, and then I'm going to let them have it. In my blog. Which, I guess, they wouldn't care about whatsoever.

Speaking of letting people have it, I have a story to tell you. Last night, my friend Lori hit me right in the nuts. Hard. What happened was, I was standing at the top of the stairs on the deck at Lori's house during Danny's birthday party. Lori ran up the stairs, and since I was standing with my legs apart she decided that she was going to reach through my legs and slap me on the ass from the front, which no one has ever done to me before. Turns out that it hasn't been done to me yet, since she hit me square in the berries, not on the rump. And for the first time in my life, I laughed at MYSELF for getting hit in the balls. You always laugh at someone else when it happens, but you never think it's funny when it's you. Well, almost never, I guess, since it was pretty fucking funny.

This job actually has me a little stressed out. What I need to do is make a list of all the things I need to do, and then do them. This is harder than I make it sound, since it will be a long and miserable list full of boring things that no-one could possibly enjoy. We'll get through it, I know, but I honestly wonder whether or not I'll be able to do this job the way it needs to be done. And I'm wondering whether or not it will all be worth it. I'll keep you posted.

T.

6 Comments:

At 12:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no idea how many times you've *almost* been hit in the nuts, though.


- bail out with your sail out

 
At 7:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Heh. I really wish someone would have got a video of that.

I'm pretty damned sure that you'll make the whole kitchen thing work. The worry, for me, is a good start; the next part is actually attacking the list and getting 4 or so things ticked off of it each day.

I've become very list-oriented lately, and checking things off of my lists makes me very happy.

Take care a be awesome!

 
At 10:56 PM , Blogger rilla said...

I'm totally glad that the week-end went well. Even though I was in Calgary having an awesome time I was thinking about you opening up that bar.

I'm pissed about the wait list thing. Did you wear a double pony-tail?

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger Amy said...

We were all thinking of you during the long weekend, and I'm glad you did find the time to update us.

The bar sounds awesometastic! Lists are good, worrying (within reason) is good, and being such a big part of an adventure like this is totally good and totally worth it because, like you said, experience is more important than formal training and I expect that no matter what you choose to do later in life, it will be easy compared to this. :)

Yay Tomas!

 
At 12:46 PM , Blogger neuba said...

Hey Tomas! Thanks for the update. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting to hear about the exciting life of T-ass.

The bar sounds like a lot of work, but totally awesome. Keep up the good work. Have you made the super duper sandwich of yours yet?

As for school, I have my fingers crossed that you will move off the 'wait' list and onto the 'you are in' list.

Keep being awesome!

 
At 5:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! fantasy football free bingo game Porsche 928 gt Subaru impreza 25rs front headlight lens Exotic car rentals calgary District of columbia hoosier lottery powerball Moving+services+los+angeles Free free meridia information information fairfield resorts moen faucets Bathromm wall cabinets

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home