Monday, February 19, 2018

Kimberley

So after Big White, everybody else went back home, but I went to Kimberley instead!  I spent 5 nights in an airbnb, and then 3 nights in a motel.  The airbnb was sweet, it was right on the hill and it was cheap, the only drawback was I had to get a little creative when preparing my meals (cooking veggies in the coffee maker works pretty well).  The motel was also sweet, the North Star, it's the same place that Scott and I shared a very tiny bed last year.  Same old couple running the place (he's from Germany, she's from Moose Jaw), same bowl of individually-wrapped mints on the table, same little loaf of rhubarb cake when you check in, I swear that place is just as cute as a button.  Kimberley's a great little town and the North Star Motel is a swell place to stay, I can't recommend it highly enough.  Plus, unlike the airbnb, the motel rooms have little 2-burner stove-tops (no ovens) so you don't have to cook your peas in the coffee pot!

The conditions in Kimberley were great, it snowed a ton while I was there, and even though it's just a little guy compared to a place like Big White (or even Fernie) there's still some cool stuff.  I'm in no way an expert, but it seems to me that what sets Kimberley apart is the glade runs; there are tons of places where you can get in the trees and screw around, and it doesn't get a ton of traffic, being a smaller hill, so you can always find fresh snow to play in.  I also really enjoyed getting to that hill  after spending one day there last year, now I'm not trying to be a guy who brags but my snowboard skills have come a long way in the last 12 months so it was a completely different experience this time around, and it was pretty satisfying to be able to get into those trees and mess around doing dumb shit that would have been just plain impossible last time around.  It is My Opinion that Snowboarding is Really Fun, and you should all do it.  It's fun even if you suck, but it's WAY more fun if you kinda don't suck.

Aside from riding, I spent a lot of time olympics-watching, and that was lots of fun but it doesn't really make for a good story, so I'm not sure why I brought it up?  I did a lot of reading too, also fun but also boring to hear about.  I tried to go to the Bauernhaus for supper one night,  but they were all booked up so I went to a pub and ate french fries and chicken wings instead.  Sorry this part of the blog isn't good.

My original plan was to spend this whole month in the mountains,  but my plans to go to Banff didn't work out, so today I ripped back home.  Now I'm in Saskatoon for some R & R before heading back out to Big White at the beginning of March.  I can't wait to get back out there, I miss the mountains already.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home